November – December 2012

W-Moose-building-project-3jpg

The White Moose space is deconstructing at an amazing rate – it seems all too easy knocking down the interior and getting back to the original 1721 stonework. The walls echo the building’s heritage from when it was the Trinity Church Boys School.  Long window openings were revealed indicating that originally it would have just been one large stone built open space with no upper floor.

Over the years, the building changed and another floor level was put in, shortening the windows accordingly. It became a boys and girls school in the 1800’s and much later in 1975, was bought by the Grand Lodge of the Loyal Order of Moose to use as a members meeting place and a community space. Many people we speak to now remember going to dance classes there and for many years the hall was used as the local polling station.